“How do I stem the tide?”
The purpose of this article is to get ownership and management to self-examine what they are doing and how they are doing it and are they effective. Look in the mirror and evaluate yourself. Are you doing these items below? It takes intensity, commitment, and perseverance. It is for tough-minded focused people. It is not for the faint-hearted.
- Clarity in what they, the employees, are supposed to do and why it is important.
- Equipped with up-to-date tools such as tablets, order & pay by phone, etc.
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T for employees. Treat them with humanity, dignity, integrity, and care.
- Trust that they can do their job if we have given the above 4 items.
- Recognition and Appreciation for the work they do and for their caliber of work.
Dialogue on Self Examination
“I want to retain whom I have and to help them be more productive”
We want the staff to be motivated to stay and do a good job. What are you doing about ensuring that they are becoming more productive at their job as well as earning kudos for a job well done?
Are you clear and complete on expectations? How about accountability for their performance? Are you training & coaching them without being a micro manager?
How about compensation? Wages, benefits, bonuses, more paid time off, etc. Is there a pathway to attaining these things? Are you helping them understand how to achieve more? Think in terms of how you might like to be treated if you were an employee once again.
What is the mission of the company? What is our purpose? Is the MS published for everyone to see? Have you discussed it with the staff? Are you living up to the mission yourself?
If you live up to these items, you will retain your beloved staff and attract new ones because the word will get out that your place takes care of their people.